Your old yoga mat has lost its stickiness or is starting to fall apart. What is an environmentally conscious yogi to do? Rather than throwing it out, consider one of these 30 ways to reuse your old yoga mat:
1. Place under an area rug for no-slip gripping.
2. Line kitchen shelves to prevent glasses from slipping and scratching.
3. Use as kitchen drawer liners.
4. Cut it up to make a mouse pad.
5. Plug up drafty areas including windows, doors and under window air conditioners.
6. Use as a liner under house plants to protect your hardwood floors or carpet.
7. Cut to fit closet floors or place in foyers as a place for muddy shoes.
8. Use as grip pads to open jars.
9. Cut to size and use as foot pads for the bottom of furniture that is on a wood or ceramic floor.
10. Use instead of bubblewrap to protect your valuables while moving or shipping.
11. Cut into shapes and letters for tub and pool toys.
12. Use under children’s playdough and messy art projects to make clean up easier.
13. Shred and use for jungle gym at the end of the slide for a softer landing.
14. Cut the mat into squares and use them as bases while playing baseball with the kids.
15. Place at the bottom of the bathtub so your kids don’t slip around.
16. Use as a seat liner to protect the back seat of your car while taking your dog to the vet or groomer.
17. Cut and place in your pet carriers so that your pets have good footing when being transported to the vet.
18. Cut and place it in front of the kitty litter box to stop the litter from spilling onto the ground.
19. Use as a sleeping pad for your pet.
For Entertainment & Activities:
20. Keep in the car for spur of the moment picnics, preventing groceries from sliding around in the trunk, etc.
21. Use it at outdoor sporting events for extra padding on hard benches or to protect from grass stains.
22. Use it on the beach instead of a towel.
23. Place it under your sleeping bag as a sleeping pad while camping.
24. Place between your surfboard and car to protect both from abrasion.
25. Place it over the dashboard and steering wheel to keep the sun out.
26. Lay on it when repairing something under your car.
27. Use as is or make into knee pads to kneel on in the garden to protect your knees.
28. Use it to kill weeds in your garden. Place the mat over a section of your garden and the mat and the sun’s heat will smother weeds and their seeds.
29. Donate it to an animal rescue group to use to line crates.
30. Donate it to a nursing home so that residents do not slip while getting in and out of bed.